Greetings Parents and Students!
It has been over a month since my last post but in that time we have seen many great and wonderful scientific works come from the science loft here at ESM! We have had students performing kitchen science demonstrations to large crowds, we have launched projectiles and all the while we have started to delve into states of matter and energy discussions in class. Please take a moment and read through some of the upcoming highlights and dates to consider below! Thank you and God’s blessings on your thanksgiving holiday!
- Mid-Quarter Tomorrow Wednesday, November 23rd.
- 7/8 Science Test Tuesday, November 29th.
- Vespers Dec. 7th (Gr.2,3,4,5) and 14th (Gr.K,1,6,7,8)
- 7th Grade Creation Museum Field Trip December 16th.
- Tuesday, Dec. 20th – Last Day of 2nd Quarter and of school before Christmas Break!
6th Grade Science Updates
In the sixth grade, we have been looking at gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy. This hasn’t been just a theoretical discussion. We have pulled out our good old calculating machines and started crunching some numbers! The students are currently in the process of building a very large Kinex(TM) roller coaster so that we can analyze the motion and energy of the cars as they travel down the track. We will most likely finish our discussions on energy and move into sound before we go on Christmas Break!
7/8th Science Updates
In the 7th and 8th grade science classes, we have been learning and exploring the nature of solids, liquids, and gasses. Today we had a lab where explored how energy moves as transition water from the liquid to the gas state. Tomorrow is DRY ICE DAY! If you are interested in what this day may look like you can watch this VIDEO on youtube from a couple of years ago!
There will be a “states of matter” test in the upper middle school on Tuesday, November 29th as we get back into the swing of things after Thanksgiving break. A study day will be provided in class that Monday we get back. After this unit, we will be diving into chemical bonding and then chemical reactions. It is my hope to be done with middle school chemistry by the first or second week we get back after Christmas. We will then tackle life science!
Creation Museum Updates
The creation museum bus and museum admission have been paid for (for a while) and we are now in the final month before our trip! I would just like to say thank you for paying on time and getting me your funds. It is very helpful to get all the bills taken care of for a trip of this size and I appreciate all the support and help from such great parents! Feel free to check out information about the garden lights and nativity in advance by clicking on the image to the right!
Just a couple of reminders about our trip:
- We will depart from the GETZ RD CAMPUS on the morning of December 16th no matter what! I have talked to the bus garage and even if there is a 1-hour delay, 2-hour delay or school cancellation we will depart unless the bus company feels it is unsafe to do so. I will be providing several forms of communication so that in the event I do need to contact everyone to cancel, you will know where to find the information. We will make that determination no later than 7 am that morning.
- We will not be providing breakfast, but we will provide some snacks on the bus. If you ordered a lunch/dinner it will be on the bus waiting for you when you are ready to eat it.
- The final chaperone list with student assignments will hopefully be making it out to parents and students by the 1-2 week in December. It is my hope to get that list to chaperones no later than 1 week from departure.
Finally, if you have any questions about what is happening in class, our field trip, or in general please feel free to email me by using the contact link at the top of this page!
Thank you and I hope you all have a very restful Thanksgiving Holiday!