Welcome to Physics!
This is Unit 01 of general physics. In this unit we explore the basic concepts dealing primarily with measurement, number systems, data collection and data analysis. Most of this unit should be a review from previous science and mathematics courses. This course is broken up into two components, in class and online. There will be some mandatory online assignments as well as optional resources available to you. All material will however be delivered in class. To get started I suggest taking about 30 minutes to explore this website and the resources it has to offer. Begin by scrolling down this page and clicking on the various links. I would also highly recommend exploring the “student” tab and it’s various resources in the menu at the top of the page. It is truly great to have you in physics and I look forward to this year and all we will accomplish!
Each unit webpage will have several components. Because of the various content some webpages may have more content then others, but for the most part all of them will have the unit documents, textbook resources, and some tutorial videos. Scroll down to review and access these resources for Unit 01.
First week housekeeping items…
- Click on the link for the syllabus and download the document to your school/home computer. Then print off one copy and place it in your binder.
- The “Syllabus Online Quiz” will be counted for credit. It is intended to test your knowledge of the syllabus content and classroom expectations. Please take this quiz by the indicated due date in the Unit 01 Outline.
- Please click on the link above and then download the lab safety contract. When opened on a computer using Adobe Reader you can fill in the form on the computer and then print off TWO copies. One copy will be collected for credit. The other copy needs to be put in your binder as a reference material for this course.
- The “About Me Online Survey” is a survey that gives you, my student, an opportunity to tell me a little bit about yourself. This will be a small grade but easy points. Take five minutes and complete it now!
Unit 01 General Documents
In each unit you can expect there to be a set of standard documents. These documents include but are not limited to a unit outline, notes packet(s), and homework. You can see each of these documents by clicking on the corresponding links below.
- The unit outline is a document that contains the agenda for the unit. This includes daily concepts, readings, and homework/assessments.
- Note packets are information packets designed to help guide you through the note taking process. They contain a basic structure and simple diagrams designed to follow along with the daily instruction. If absent, master note packets (with the information) can be obtained upon request. Note: Some units differentiated parts, therefore the notes packet may be broken down into sections.
Presentations (N/A this Unit)
- Presentations are a tool by which I sometime deliver necessary information to students. Presentations may be presented using a variety of resources including but not limited to Microsoft PowerPoint, Prezi, and iPad apps (i.e. Explain Everything). You can view and print the presentation for this unit by clicking the like above.
- The homework is designed to reinforce and challenge concepts in class. All homework packets are designed to include either example problems AND/OR selected answers to the problems at the END of the packet.
- The equation sheet is a comprehensive sheet of equations, conversion factors, and physical constants that we will explore and use over the course of this unit.
The publisher of our textbook has many great resources online that can help to better understand some of the concepts covered in class. Feel free to take advantage of any or all of these resources.
- Interactive lessons are videos and java applets that the textbook publisher has put together to help reinforce content we are learning about in class. These interactives are not mandatory however, they can be very helpful if you are struggling with a particular concept.
Reading Quizzes (N/A this Unit)
Reading quizzes are designed to get students to delve into their textbook or other reading and pick out important pieces of information. Reading quizzes may or may not be assigned in every unit however, when assigned they are designed to be taken online. If a reliable online connection is of concern to you, please let me know ASAP!
Video lessons are lessons recorded by me for the purpose of assisting you through difficult concepts. At this point in time the list of available videos is limited. Not all content is available online. As new videos become available, news posts will be posted on the front page of BClassroom.com. If you subscribe to BClassroom via email, facebook, or twitter you will be informed automatically when videos are posted.
Below is the YouTube playlist for this unit. (Due to the blocking of YouTube on school computers these videos are not currently available on school computers! However you can access them on your mobile device or at home by clicking HERE.)